Community Council

Community and town councils are accountable to local people and have a duty to represent the interests everyone in the community equally, including children.  

Members are elected volunteers.  Community and town council seats are awarded either through election or by co-option.  Co-option is when the council chooses from a list of volunteers if there are not enough candidates at election time or the electorate does not call for an election when a seat falls vacant. Community and town councillors can represent a political party or be politically independent. 

Community and town councils work closely with the county or county borough council in the area, representing the interests of their communities.  

They have legal powers to deliver some services, but fewer duties.  Community and town councils have the scope to deliver many services, depending on the size of the community they represent and their budget. Examples of services provided by community and own councils include:
  • public information signs and noticeboards
  • public seating and shelters
  • war memorials
  • community centres and indoor recreation facilities
They can also work in partnership with other organisations (including other community or town councils in the area) to deliver services.  

By offering support, including funding, equipment or premises, community and town councils can also help others bodies to provide services, such as child care, services for the elderly, environmental initiatives and arts and sports activities.  

The Good Councillor’s Guide 2012, available at the bottom of this page, gives more detail about the powers available to community and town councils.

Community and town councils have a duty to consider the views of everyone in their community, including young people.  A law, the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 ss.118-121, gives community and town councils the power to appoint up to two youth representatives (aged 16 to 25) to join the council to represent the interests of young people who live, work or receive education or training in the area.  Some councils have set up a youth council, or committee of young people, to listen to young people’s views.  

You can also contact your community or town council to express your views on a subject, and take part in consultation exercises run by the council.

Your council may run a variety of consultation exercises throughout the year, in which you can give your view on a particular matter or in general about the community.  The council may also call a meeting of the community or town, at which electors can discuss the work of the council and what is going on in the area.  Such a meeting can also be called by the electorate itself, if 10% or 50 electors, whichever is fewer, ask for one.

Meetings of the council and its committees and subcommittees, are open to the public, except when very sensitive matters are being discussed.  The Welsh Government encourages community and town councils to invite public participation and some have a dedicated time in council meetings in which members of the public can express their views or ask questions.

You can also email or write to your community or town council at any time. 

Minutes of meetings - not available online.  Minutes can be purchased from the Clerk of the Community Council at £1 per sheet of A4 paper.  This website is fully independent of the Community Council.

Ian Perry,
24 Nov 2013, 18:59
Ian Perry,
24 Nov 2013, 18:59