Cottrell

Sir Charles Tyler
Cottrell Park's history spans from Medieval times to its recent occupation by Mackintosh of Mackintosh, chief of the Clan Chattan and Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire, who made his Welsh seat a centre of lavish entertainment and social gatherings. Cottrell’s name was derived from the family who held the Medieval Manor of Trehill.

Several families who played notable parts in the History of Glamorgan and Great Britain resided at Cottrell, namely the Merrick's, the Button's and the Tyler's. The most notable of the Merrick Family was the 16th Century genealogist and antiquarian Rice Merrick, who held the Lordship of Cottrell and Clerk of the Peace for Glamorgan. He was a celebrated topographer and author of the "Glamorganshire Antiquities (1578)".

The Cottrell Estate passed to the Button family through the marriage of Sir Thomas Button to Barbara, daughter and heiress of Rice Meyrick. Between 1557 and 1727, the Button Family provided Glamorgan with several High Sheriffs. Miles Button was captured by the Parliamentarians at the Battle of St Fagans during the Civil War. 
Emilia Gwinnett
However, the most illustrious member of the family was Admiral Sir Thomas Button, naval explorer, famous for charting the Northwest American coast and the Hudson Straits, where Button Island is named after him.

Upon the death of Emilia Button, Cottrell passed to her spouse, Reverend Samuel Gwinnett, curate of St Nicholas. Their son, Button Gwinnett, was one of the fifty-six men who assembled at Philadelphia in 1776 to sign the Declaration of Independence, thus becoming one of America’s immortals. Through inheritance the Estate passed to the Tyler Family. Maritime traditions continued with Admiral Sir Charles Tyler who commanded one of Nelson’s flag ships at Trafalgar. Other notable members of the family include Read-Admiral Sir George Tyler, who was Governor of St Vincent from 1833 to 1846 and Lieutenant Colonel George Henry Tyler MP, who served in the Crimean War.




The final chapter in the Cottrell’s succession of different family ownerships, was the marriage of the Tyler heiress to Edward Priest Richards of Roath, Cardiff, whose daughter in turn married Mackintosh of Mackintosh. The Park’s long unbroken sequence of distinguished occupation ended with the death of Mackintosh in 1938. Like many of its kind, the Park and its impressive House were acquired for utilitarian use during World War II.

In true Manor House tradition, it is recorded that The Cottrell had a ghost. Emelia Gwinnett, who was bequeathed the Estate by her brother Reverend Samuel Gwinnett, ‘Willed’ the estate to Lord Clarendon. In her attempt to accomplish this deed, she is said to have burnt her brother’s Will and destroyed the Manor Book that contained all the chronicles and records of the Manor. For this wicked act, her unhappy spirit was said to haunt the room in which the Will was burned.
In 1999, Cottrell Park published the book Cottrell, by John Richards.  The book is about the people associated with the Cotterell estate over 500 years, Cottrell -- Merrick -- Button -- Gwinnett --  Earl of Clarendon -- Tyler -- Mackintosh -- William Powell and Sons.


Comments